Skip to main content

Viewing Psych Reports Through A Different Lens

    I have been doing medical-legal evaluations on a psychological basis for over 30 years. In addition to evaluating patients with personal injury or workers’ compensation claims, I am firmly dedicated to discrediting poorly-written psych reports and helping attorneys see better outcomes with their psych cases. For over 10 years I have been writing Apricots™. Apricots™ are written reports that describe the major flaws that exist in psych reports using easy-to-understand terminology that provides information that an attorney needs to successfully cross-examine a psychiatrist, a psychologist or a neuropsychologist and/or draft a brief for the court. It also provides an extensive list of questions that will expose the flaws in a psych doctor’s report during cross-examination. 

    Through my work over the years, I have become aware that attorneys who cross-examine psych doctors typically prepare for this task by designing questions directed at the doctor’s conclusions in one or more of five areas. Those five areas are the doctor’s conclusions about 

1) causation 

2) the GAF score 

3) temporary and permanent disability 

4) apportionment 

5) treatment recommendations. 

    To those attorneys, I say “this approach is all wrong! You should never attack the doctor’s conclusions in these five areas.” Why, you ask? The answer is simple. When asked about their conclusions of causation, the GAF score, disability, apportionment and treatment recommendations, psychologists, psychiatrists and neuropsychiatrists, may simply testify, “What I stated in my report is my best professional opinion.” Quite simply, when the doctor resorts to their “best professional opinion,” it’s case closed. There is little room for the attorney to see good outcomes with the cross-examination at that point. 

    Therefore, I strongly encourage attorneys to view psych reports through a different lens. Instead of looking for evidence to question causation, GAF, disability, apportionment,treatment recommendations, question the doctor’s data supporting their diagnosis. This is where attorneys will have the most success because the majority of psych reports written for the courts lack sufficient evidence to support the doctor’s diagnosis. 

    The diagnosis is the most vulnerable part of any psych report. When the diagnosis is effectively attacked, this approach will force the doctor to testify that there were insufficient data in his or her report to support their diagnosis. Once these errors are exposed, all of the other conclusions about things like causality, disability, prior pathology and the need for treatment fall by the wayside like a collapsing house of cards.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding The Source of Weak Psych Reports

If you’re an attorney or an adjuster in workers’ compensation or personal injury, general liability, or any jurisdiction where a psych doctor produces a report of their evaluation or treatment in response to the claim of a mental injury, you are always confronted with psych reports that are weak. But do you understand them and do you know how to defeat them? Let me help you do both! This month I’ll tell you how to understand them. In the next two months, I’ll tell you how to beat them.   Many of you who have referred workers’ compensation and personal injury cases to me over the last three plus decades know that I have evaluated between 5,000 and 10,000 applicants and plaintiffs. As part of my practice I’ve read tens of thousands of psych reports, the vast majority of which are demonstrably substantially flawed.    First, a little of my professional history will help to understand what I think is going on. For the first 30 years after getting my Ph.D. I was a full-time college professo

A Horror Story For Insurance Companies

     John Jones gets injured. For this horror story, it doesn’t matter if he was at work or shopping in a supermarket. It doesn’t even matter how the claimed injury occurred or even if he was really injured.       John gets a lawyer to represent his interests. For the sake of discussion, let’s assume the lawyer files the claim saying the injury was psychological or psychiatric. The lawyer then sends John to a psychologist or a psychiatrist for an evaluation and treatment. The doctor writes a report stating that John had an injury. He begins treatment. The insurance company representing the defendant sends John to another doctor for an opinion. That doctor doesn’t completely concur with John’s lawyer’s doctor but agrees that John was psychologically injured.       At some later time in the claims process, the insurance company pays John some money to compensate him for his injury. John, his lawyer, the insurance company, the defense’s lawyer, and both doctors are all happy with the sett

Flawed Psych Reports: Winners and Losers

     I have to admit that for the 35 years I have been practicing forensic psychology I have been on a crusade.       Before I started my practice I was a tenured full professor, an academic who did research, wrote and edited journal articles and books, served on Ph.D. committees and taught a variety of courses. Believe it or not, although I wrote a book on boredom, eventually my life at the university became boring. One afternoon while playing tennis with an orthopedist friend I was complaining about my boredom when he said, “Have you ever thought about doing workers’ compensation?” I said, “What’s that?” He replied that he would bring me some psych reports and did so at our next tennis game. I took a quick look at those reports and said, “You’re kidding! This is garbage. I can do a better job standing on my head.” That was the beginning of the biggest change in my life!       For the last 35 years I’ve focused on how awful most medical-legal reports are. In fact, I’ve read what I est